Although some people might avoid driving at night because of its inherent danger, there are some instances where you can’t get out of it. There are steps that you can take to minimize the risk of being involved in an accident while driving at night, including:
- Travelling with company. A person or two sitting in the car with you, carrying on light conversation, can go a long way to helping you keep your concentration. Make sure to keep the conversation light to avoid driving while distracted.
- Adding a little caffeine. Adding a little caffeine to your drive can help you avoid a dangerous situation. Losing focus or nodding off while you’re on the road can have serious consequences. Boost your concentration or energy levels with a cup of coffee or two.
- Clean your headlights. Keeping your headlights clean will give you the maximum amount of visibility when driving at night. Foggy or clouded headlights can cause a dangerous situation. Too dim, especially in foggy weather, and an oncoming car might not see you to be able to avoid hitting you in time.
- Test your windshield wipers. Windshield wipers need to be replaced once they are worn. If you’re caught in a rainstorm at night with no help from your windshield wipers, you’re making an already dangerous driving condition even worse by limiting your visibility. Test your wipers before you head out on the road.
- Reduce speed. At the very least, you should be following the speed limits of the road or highway where you’re driving. If you feel uncomfortable with how high they are, you can always slow down. As long as you’re not impeding traffic by going too slowly, there isn’t a problem with slowing down. If you feel uncomfortable with going slowly, find the nearest safe place (rest stop, hotel, etc.) and wait until you feel well enough to carry on.
- Make frequent stops. Night driving can be difficult on your eyes, Take frequent breaks, go for a short walk and bring another driver who can switch off with you. The more rested and alert you are, the better you’ll be able to react or prevent a potentially dangerous situation.
If you’re planning a road trip or to regularly drive at night, Quanz Auto Care can examine your vehicle and perform any necessary repairs beforehand. You can prevent a dangerous driving condition before you even head out by ensuring that your car is functioning properly. Come into Quanz Auto Body for a tune-up today. No appointment is necessary!