New Mexico isn’t alone when it comes to requiring vehicles to get emissions testing. 32 states (including New Mexico) require your vehicle to go through testing that meets their local standards and requirements. Quanz Auto Body in Albuquerque, New Mexico helps you know the ins and outs of emissions testing so you are driving your vehicle legally and reducing your carbon footprint at the same time.
What is Emissions Testing?
An emission testing checks the levels of hazardous materials that escape from your motor vehicle. The goal of this testing is to cut down on pollutants that enter the air and to reduce harm to the environment. There are no federally mandated emissions testing and is different for every state based who works with the Environmental Protection Agency.
Who is required to get Emissions Testing in New Mexico?
All motor vehicles that are more than four years old and are in Bernalillo County for more than 60 days a year have to comply with emissions testing regulations. In addition to vehicles that are registered in other places, but frequent Bernalillo County often, the following vehicles must also have emissions testing every two years in order to comply with the law:
- All 1980 and newer motor vehicles up to 10,000 lbs GVW
- New ownership of a vehicle that is from 1980 and up (even if recently tested)
- All 1998 and newer diesel motor vehicles
Some vehicles are exempt from being tested every two years. These vehicles do not need to have an air care certificate:
- All new motor vehicles for four years following initial registration from the date of the manufacturer’s certificate of origin
- Vehicles fueled by a gasoline/oil mixture
- Legally sanctioned competition motor vehicles
- Road machinery
- Vehicles 35 years and older
- Dedicated Electric Vehicles
- Vehicles sold between licensed dealers
For more about Eco Driving and how you can be part of the solution to reducing carbon emissions, check out EcoDrive.org and Driving Skills for Life. For car maintenance to help your car achieve maximum mpg potential, come see us. Quanz Advanced Auto Body is happy to be part of your Eco Driving team!