As summer winds down, the days get shorter, the nights get colder, and the kids go back to school. While you’re preparing for the changing of the seasons, take some time to pay a little special attention to your car. The end of summer is the perfect time to handle many routine maintenance tasks, and getting them dealt with early ensures you won’t be caught unaware by an early cold snap.
- Check the engine for any driveabiity problems. Once the weather cools down, any existing issues will worsen.
- Replace dirty filters. Fuel and air filters in particular can get clogged during summer activities like camping and off-roading, and just through regular use.
- Check, top off and change your oil if necessary, especially if you drive in a lot of stop-and-go traffic or make frequent short trips.
- Flush and refill your cooling system and make sure your vehicle has enough anti-freeze for the upcoming cool weather.
- Check your heater and defroster to make sure they’ll be in good working order come autumn frosts.
- Replace your windshield wiper blades and top off your fluid reservoir.
- Check your battery. Batteries hold less charge in cold weather, so now is the time to replace an old battery before the weather gets chilly.
- Look at your tires and determine if they need to be replaced. If you did a lot of driving this summer, your tread may be quite worn.
A bit of prevention now – while the weather’s still pleasant – can save you some troubles down the line once things start to get cold.
Bring your car into Quanz Auto Body for an end-of-summer tune-up and tips on how to improve your car’s performance through the fall and well into winter!