Having a tire blow out can be an extremely dangerous situation, especially if you’re driving at high speeds on a freeway. They can also cause a lot of damage to your vehicle, and potentially someone else’s vehicle. There are steps that you can take to prevent a blow out before one even happens, including:
- Keep proper tire pressure. Underinflated tires can cause an imbalance on your car, eventually causing the tire to warp and eventually blow out. Buy a tire pressure gauge and measure your tires on a regular basis, maybe every time you fill up at the gas station, just to make sure that your tires are properly inflated. You can check your car’s manual for recommended tired pressure.
- Keep an eye on the tread of your tire. Uneven tread on your tire can eventually cause your tire to wear in an unusual way. The tire could blow out as a result of the uneven tread. Get your tires rotated on a regular basis to keep the tread even, and make a note of any uneven tread on your tires.
- Inspect your tire after hitting a pothole or curb. Hitting a pothole or curb can cause your tires to weaken in certain areas or to have uneven tread. Listen to your tires for any leaking air. Keep an eye on the impacted tire over the next few days to see if it’s losing air slowly.
- Stay up-to-date with recall information. Occasionally, tires will be recalled for a susceptibility to blow outs. You can find this information online, the manufacturer’s website or through the shop that you bought your tires from. If your tires are recalled, you should have them replaced immediately.
- Keep your vehicle weight down. Putting too much unnecessary stress on your tires can eventually cause them to fail. Go through the items in your car and determine what is necessary to carry. Keep items such as water, blankets and car tools on hand. Ditch the fishing gear from last summer that you haven’t used.
Tire blow outs can happen, even if you take precaution. If you have sustained a blowout, have your car towed to Quanz Auto Body. We’ll take care of your tires and any damage that was caused to other parts of your vehicle. You’ll have access to an on-site Enterprise Rent-A-Car and a free shuttle to your home or job, if needed. No appointments are necessary!