In last week’s blog we talked about the importance of getting regular maintenance on your cabin air filter. This week, Quanz Auto Body in Albuquerque, NM share the steps necessary to replacing your air filter yourself, so you can save not only time, but money as well.
Replacing your Cabin Air Filter
Most new vehicles come with one or more cabin air filters. In order to replace your filter and clean it, you will need to take the following steps:
- Locate your owner’s manual and find out where the cabin air filter is located. If you can’t find this information, then your vehicle may not be equipped with one.
- Choose the type of air filter you are going to use to replace the current one. There are two options: particulate and activated charcoal. If you are unsure which is best for you, contact the experts at Quanz Auto Body and we can help you make the best selection for your vehicle needs.
- Use protection. At any time you decide to perform vehicle maintenance and repair yourself, you will want to make sure you have eye protection, gloves and the proper tools.
- Locate the filter housing. This may be near the glove compartment, causing you to remove the glove compartment carefully. Once you locate the filter housing, look for a removable plastic filter cover.
- Remove the filter (usually this is as simple as opening the filter door).
- Clean out the filter housing to remove access particles, wipe the inside of the chamber with a damp cloth to pick them all up and then replace the filter with the new one.
Quanz Auto Body recommends you look at your owner’s manual to make sure you are changing your cabin air filter as recommended. Usually this is at least once a year or every 12,000-15,000 miles. However, if you are often driving in heavily-polluted or high-traffic areas, you may want to change the filter more often.
If you don’t want to do this part replacement on your own then no problem. Bring your vehicle by our Westside location during operating hours, no appointment necessary, and we will replace it for you. Contact us today for more information!