Every vehicle should have an emergency kit no matter the season; however did you know that there are certain things you could use in your vehicle besides the standard items like jumper cables and first-aid supplies? In this week’s blog, Quanz Auto Body in Albuquerque shares the top things all vehicles should have this winter:
Preparation is Key
Before winter comes, or before you head on your winter road trip, make sure your car is prepared for possible harsh conditions with the following items:
- Snow Socks. Snow socks are space-saving and a temporary alternative to snow chains for your tires. These are extremely useful when you unexpectedly need more traction to get down the snowy or icy roadway. They also provide just enough traction to go up a slippery hill if needed.
- Hand Warmers & Thermal Blankets. Even though our vehicles can act as a shelter from the wind and snow, running the engine to stay warm can potentially cause the exhaust to make its way into the cabin with deadly consequences. Keep warm by using a wool or thermal blanket, and hand warmers for when it gets really cold.
- Road Flares. These should be a standard in any road emergency kit. However, the heat they put out prevents them from being buried by driving snow and is a great tool to warm or signal a fire. We also recommend having LED Flashers. These are run off battery and last hours so you can alert drivers if your car is stuck on the side of the road.
- You don’t have to try and fit a full-sized shovel in your trunk or back seat. Try a compact folding shovel. These are big enough to get the job done when you need to dig your vehicle out of heavy snow.
- Windshield De-Icer. This is a liquid that is very useful and can mean the difference between seeing the road and seeing yourself stuck in a ditch. This also works on other car parts to remove ice, including the road in front of you.
In addition to preparing your vehicle for the winter, you should always carry a spare tire (make sure the air levels are good every time you check your other tires, a tire changing kit, a first-aid kit, snacks, water and a cell phone charger or back-up battery. Keep safe this winter and have a great December. Visit us at Quanz Auto Body anytime and we can check your tires, oil and more to make sure your vehicle is ready to take on the harsh elements.