While most fatal car accidents occur during the summer and fall, winter weather can cause potentially deadly road conditions – especially here in Albuquerque, where weather can be unpredictable. Snow, slush, and ice can make it hard to stop, start, or turn, especially if you are in an emergency. Every year, about 24% of weather-related car accidents occur on snowy or icy roads while 15% occur during sleet or snowfall.
Safe Winter Driving Tips
Driving in winter weather conditions requires a different approach than driving on dry roads. Follow these tips to stay safe on the road:
- Do not stop or power up a hill. Applying extra gas on a snowy or icy hill will make your wheels spin. Try to get enough inertia before you reach the hill and use it to carry you over the top. Do not stop on an icy hill if you can help it as it will be very hard to get moving again in the right direction.
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly. Take time to slow down for stoplights and stop signs to avoid skidding and gain traction. It will take longer to slow down on a snowy or icy road.
- Keep your gas tank full to prevent the fuel line from freezing.
- Do not use cruise control. You want as much control of the vehicle as possible.
- Know how your brakes respond to slippery surfaces.
What to Do in an Accident
If you are involved in an accident, move to a safe place as soon as possible. Move the vehicle out of the path of traffic if possible and remain in the car if it’s safe. Contact the police as soon as possible to file a police report and preserve evidence of the accident with photographs. Be sure to photograph poor road conditions or anything that contributed to the accident. Get contact and insurance information from other drivers, if any.
The next step is arranging for collision repairs. You may need to have your vehicle towed and give the tow company permission to release your vehicle to an auto body shop. Depending on who was at fault, you may need to contact your insurance company to file a claim or initiate a claim with the other driver’s insurance provider. The auto body shop can negotiate with your insurance company to make sure your vehicle is repaired.
If you have been involved in a winter accident, whether or not you were at fault, you have the right to choose your body shop. At Quanz Auto Body, we offer fast, high-quality collision repair to restore your vehicle’s safety and appearance and get you back on the road as soon as possible. Bring your vehicle to Quanz Auto Body for prompt, honest collision repair.